Post - Abortion Stress and Grief - Symptoms
After an abortion it is normal to feel and act on very complex emotions
Some signs that you may not be coping are:
- feelings of deep sadness and loss - often feeling teary,
- loss of interest in normal or significant things,
- relationship difficulties,
- psychological “numbing”,
- disturbing thoughts about babies and abortion,
- believing you are unworthy,
- avoiding relationships or struggling with intimacy,
- reacting when abortion is mentioned,
- avoiding pregnant women, babies or children,
- alcohol or drug abuse,
- self-destructive thoughts or behaviour,
- suicidal tendencies,
- casual sex,
- inability to function normally,
- hopelessness or a desire to replace the baby that was lost.
If you are feeling some of these things, know that it’s completely normal. You’ve had a great loss and are grieving.
Sometimes these symptoms hit us immediately and sometimes they take years to show. Either way, we want you to know that it doesn’t have to be like this forever.
We want you to believe with us, that there is hope. You are not alone. Many others have experienced what you are experiencing and have come through it. You will recover and find forgiveness and freedom again.
You’re going to be OK.